Clay County
Sheriff's Office
Piggott, Arkansas
Mobile Version Like us on Facebook!

Crime Tips HOTline
(870) 598-3156
or Submit Via Email

(870) 598-2270
(24 hours)

Dial 911

Email Map

268 South 2nd Ave.
Piggott, Arkansas 72454

Administrative Office Hours:
M-F 8:00am - 4:00pm

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I address a letter to an inmate that is at the Clay County Detention Center?

Inmates Name

268 South Second Ave

Piggott, AR 72454

How can I put money on an inmates account?

Clay County Sheriff’s Department offers many ways to send money and commissary to inmates. You are able to bring money directly to the Clay County Detention Center or online at

What are policies on inmate correspondence?

All incoming and outgoing correspondence will go through the postal system. All personal incoming mail will be opened and inspected for contraband. Incoming mail will be given to inmates within twenty-four hours of when it is received and inspected, excluding weekends and holidays.  Any mail that is dirty or stained will be considered contaminated and returned to the sender.

Photographs may be sent to an inmate through the mail. Such photographs may not exceed four by six inches in size. Larger pictures will be returned to sender. A maximum of five photographs will be allowed per inmate. The pictures may not contain violence, nudity, sexual acts, or gang-related activities including hand signs.

Mail that contains any of the following will be rejected:

Prohibited items include: Mail with lipstick imprinted on it, Odor-causing substances like perfume or cologne that permeate the mail, Stickers, labels, or anything with adhesive, Torn-out book, magazine or newspaper clippings or pages, Flowers, candy, food, or any perishables, Blank stationery, envelopes, Post-it Notes, Staples, Paper Clips, Glitter, Tape, Plastic, Metal

Contraband that is illegal will result in criminal charges being filed. Contraband that is not of a criminal nature will be returned to the sender.

Items Considered Contraband:

  • Narcotics, marijuana, handcuff keys, blades, postage stamps, stickers, etc.
  • Pictures or photographs may not contain violence, nudity, sexual acts, or gang-related activities including hand signs, decorative stickers, etc.
  • Mail tainted with perfume, cologne, or any other type of substance, including correction fluid, gel ink, or written in crayon etc.

At what age does my child have to be in a child safety or booster seat?

Arkansas Law requires that a child under six(6) years of age or sixty (60) pounds, be restrained in a child passenger seat properly secured ot the vehcile. Any child over six(6) and under fifteen(15) years of age must be secured in a seatbelt. 

Drug Terms-Slang

There are many slang terms used by individuals of all ages alike to describe different types of drugs and/or behaviors. The PDF file below lists most common terms used by these individuals. 

Drug Slang Terms.pdf (Click to download PDF)

How can I be fingerprinted for work/job purpose?

The Sheriff's Office can take fingerprints for background purposes. These are normally done as part of an employment or pre-employement process for a government office or agency, such as a school, or for employers such as nursing homes. A nominal fee of $10.00 will generally apply. 

How and under what condition can I report someone missing?

Missing Person reports are separated into two general categories:

Missing/Runaway Juveniles:  The parent or guardian of any juvenile (under 18 years of age) may file a missing person-runaway juvenile report at any time.  These reports will be immediately entered into the NCIC/ACIC law enforcement database, which would serve to alert any officer from any jurisdiction having contact with the juvenile that he or she is listed as missing or a runaway.  Radio notification will be made to all officers on duty.  Deputies will also follow-up on any leads provided by the parent/guardian as to the possible location of the juvenile. 

Missing Adults:  Any person eighteen (18) years of age or older is considered to be an adult with full freedom of movement and liberty.  Exceptions would include persons 18 years of age or older who remain under the legal guardianship of another adult or protective services.  Deputies will take reports of missing adults at any time.  The extent of any follow-up will depend upon the circumstances of the disappearance.  For example, if evidence indicated that the missing person was endangered or may have been forcibly abducted, deputies would immediately begin follow-up on leads.  If the missing person simply has not been seen recently but no evidence of foul play was found to exist, then our options and responsibilities in those cases are limited under the law and department policy. 

How do I get a protection order and when do the go into effect?

1. Orders issued by the Circuit Court to protect victims in Domestic Violence situations.

2. To be eligible, the victim must have been in a “Domestic Type Relationship” with the offender, within the definition of the law. The definition includes married people, people related within the 4th degree of consanguinity, people who have lived together, had a child together, or have been in a dating relationship. Parents or advocates may also obtain, or assist in obtaining, Orders of Protection on behalf of others in some circumstances. 

3. Application/Petition forms to obtain Orders of Protection are available at the Circuit Clerk’s Office. The Clerk may assist applicants in filling out the forms.

4. There are no costs associated with this order, no filing fees, no service fees.

5. The completed application form is presented to a Circuit Judge for review. 

6. The victim/applicant may have to answer questions from the Judge before he decides whether or not to issue the order. There must be sufficient grounds to issue the order.

7. If the application is approved, the Circuit Judge will issue an Ex Parte (Temporary) Order of Protection. This Order will be delivered to the Sheriff’s Office to be served on the offender. The Order has no validity and cannot be enforced until and unless the offender has been served with the Order.

8. When the offender is served, the Order will specify a court hearing date and time. The offender may appear to challenge the Order at that time.

9. At the time of the hearing, the Judge may make the order permanent (up to 10 years), may modify the provisions of the order, or may drop or terminate the temporary order.

10. The order may award temporary custody of children or dependents to the applicant/victim, may order spousal support, may award temporary possession of a residence or personal property, and may prevent the offender from having any contact with the victim, the victim’s children, family, or etc.

11. Any person who violates any provision of the Order of Protection has committed a crime, specifically a Class A Misdemeanor, the punishment for which is up to a $1,000 fine and/or up to one (1) year in jail. The Judge issuing the Order can also punish for Contempt of Court.

12. Officers may make an arrest without a warrant if there is probable cause to believe the Order of Protection has been violated or broken by the offender.

13. Mutual (two-way) Orders of Protection are not permitted, however the parties involved may obtain separate Order of Protection against one another if grounds exist to convince a Judge to grant them.

Victims of Domestic Violence are encouraged to apply for Orders of Protection, because it is a crime to violate them. This gives law enforcement much great authority to enforce the provisions of these orders and results in a new charge being filed. The same cannot be said for violating other kinds of orders.

What are the different levels of sex offenders and what do they mean?

Convicted Sex Offenders are required by law to register with law enforcement. The Clay County Sheriff's Office is the law enforcement agency that handles the registration process of all Sex Offenders who reside in Clay County.

There are four (4) levels of Sex Offenders under Arkansas Law. The levels represent the likelihood the Offender will re-offend.

Level 1 - Least likely to re-offend
Level 2 - Moderate risk to re-offend
Level 3 - High Risk to re-offend
Level 4 - Sexually Violent Predator

A convicted Sex Offender, who is assigned a risk level of 1, 2, or 3, is required to come in to the Sheriff's Office every 6 months to re-register. A level 4 Sex Offender is required to come in every 3 months to re-register.

When a Sex Offender moves into the State of Arkansas, they are required to be evaluated before they are assigned a risk level. This process sometimes will take several months before the State assigns a risk level. Law Enforcement is not allowed to notify the public UNTIL a risk level has been assigned by the State of Arkansas.

When does law enforcement tow vehicles?

Non-Consensual Towing:  The Sheriff's Office has authority to impound and tow vehicles under limited circumstances.  These are:

*  When the driver of the vehicle was lawfully stopped by law enforcement and the vehicle has been seized, with or without the driver being arrested.

* When the vehicle has been disabled in a traffic accident and the owner/operator is not at the scene or is incapacitated and unable to make or request specific arrangements for the removal of the vehicle.

*  When the vehicle is illegally parked in violation of Arkansas Statutes or County Ordinances.  Examples would include handicapped parking violations, blocking the roadway, parking within an intersection or crosswalk, parking too close to a fire hydrant or traffic control sign, and several other reasons.

Towing from Private Property:  Private Property owners may, themselves, arrange for the towing of any motor vehicle that has been left or abandoned without permission or consent on their property.  The Property Owner will be responsible for contacting a towing service to have the vehicle removed.  The Sheriff's Office cannot become involved in that procedure.  The Sheriff's Office cannot tow or remove a vehicle from privately owned property unless the vehicle has been seized by the Sheriff's Office as the result of a criminal violation.

Recommendation of Services:  The Sheriff's Office is prohibited by law from recommending the services of any particular tow company or wrecker service. 

How do I find out if I have a warrant for my arrest? What do I do if I have one?

The Sheriff's Office maintains thousands of Warrants of Arrest issued by the District Court and Circuit Court. All of these warrants constitute public records under the Freedom of Information Act. Any person can obtain information on arrest warrants pertaining to himself or herself or any other person by placing a phone call to the Sheriff's Office. Such information as the date of the warrant, charge(s)specified on the warrant, bond amount, and issuing court can be provided.

Many arrest warrants are served by deputies working in the field, either during vehicle stops or by visiting the last known home address or work address of the person named in the warrant. Other warrants are served when people voluntarily surrender themselves to the Sheriff's Office after learning a warrant exists for their arrest. 

Most warrants will have a bond specified by the court that a person in custody is required to post before being released. Other warrants are "No Bond" warrants, and the person must remain in custody until appearing before a Judge for further proceedings. 

On those warrants that have a bond amount specified, the Sheriff's Office will accept either cash for the bond or a surety bond issued by a professional licensed bail bonding company. The Sheriff's Office generally will not accept or approve an O/R Bond (release on own recognizance) or a property bond.

Misdemeanor arrest warrants may be served anywhere in the State of Arkansas. Felony arrest warrants are extraditable from anywhere within the United States. The Sheriff's Office is very aggressive in serving arrest warrants, and extradition will generally be authorized whenever we are notified a person is in custody in another jurisdiction on a Clay County warrant.

Any person wanting information about an arrest warrant or how to take care of an active warrant should contact the Sheriff's Office. We will make every effort to make a reasonable accommodation to allow the person satisfy the warrant within the boundaries of the law and department policy.

Will the Sheriff's Office check on the personal welfare of people in their homes? 

The Sheriff's Office frequently receives requests to perform what we term a "Welfare Check" on another person.  These generally occur when people are unable to reach a family member or close friend in Clay County and are concerned about the personal health and welfare of that person.  We will generally dispatch a deputy to the address provided by the caller to see if contact can be made with the person in question.  If contact is made, and if deemed appropriate and necessary, the deputy will conduct a brief ,cursory and informal investigation to determine the physical and/or mental health and well being of the person, without violating his or her privacy rights.  The deputy or dispatcher will then re-contact the caller to provide information on what was learned.

How much does the Sheriff's Office charge for police reports?

The Sheriff's Office charges a $10 fee on all Incident and Accident Reports.

How much is the Sheriff's fees for service?

The fee for service is $50.